New American Economy (NAE) brings together more than 500 Republican, Democratic, and Independent mayors and business leaders united in making the case for streamlining, modernizing, and rationalizing our immigration system. We advocate for reform through a variety of digital and on-the-ground initiatives and through original research and policy reports. We engage our political leaders in Washington, D.C. and across the country and we unite the diverse sectors that support reform, including tech, agriculture, business, faith, law enforcement, and education, and others, in order to show that the need for reform is urgent and the case is strong.
NAE is seeking a New York City-based, full-time Data Science Analyst to support the NAE Research team’s work quantifying the economic impact of immigrants and U.S. immigration policies have in the United States, both nationally and locally. They will have the opportunity to conceive and carry out high-profile research projects, gathering unique datasets, data mining, data scraping, and using machine learning to deliver new and creative insights to immigration-related issues.
The ideal candidate holds master’s degree in data science, quantitative methods, economics, a related background. Candidates with a bachelor’s degree and relevant professional experience are also welcome to apply. Candidates should be looking to apply creative research approaches to public policy issues. Demonstrated writing skills showing the ability to synthesize complex findings into compelling and accessible terms and the ability to adapt quickly to current events and shifting research priorities is a definite advantage. Familiarity with more traditional statistical software platforms or geospatial analysis such as Stata or GIS is also a plus.
- Assist in research design and data analysis work to estimate the contributions of immigrants in the United States.
- Gather, clean, and recode large datasets, both from static sources, but also from website APIs, and open data portals.
- Provide expertise and insight into machine learning tools and models and how NAE can apply them to new or existing research projects.
- Help the NAE team apply or obtain restricted or selective-access datasets.
- Draft research proposals, literature reviews, and key findings for research reports.
- Work collaboratively with the research team and other NAE teams to produce research content from white papers to fact sheets.
- Master’s degree in data science or quantitative methods, or a similar bachelor’s degree coupled with relevant professional experience.
- Basic understanding or interest in U.S. policy, including immigration issues.
- Strong proficiency in R, Python, and SQL, past experience or familiarity with Stata or GIS also preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise in data mining, machine learning, linear regression models, and database management.
- Past experience with research using microdata such as the American Community Survey or the Current Population Survey.
- Understanding of econometrics and quantitative data methods for social sciences, a distinct advantage.
- Highly detailed-oriented and able to multitask seamlessly.
To apply, please send a cover letter, CV, and references, to jobs@ newamericaneconomy.org
** Applications without a cover letter will not be considered**
For more information about New American Economy, please visit newamericaneconomy.org and check us out on twitter @newamericanecon
Job Type: Full-time