New American Economy (NAE) is seeking a State and Local Policy Associate to assist in project management, research, writing, and communications. The State and Local Policy Associate will work on multiple projects, primarily with NAE’s four-person State and Local Initiatives team, but also with the Research team, Communications Director, and Executive and Managing Directors. The ideal candidate is an effective multi-tasker, a self-starter, detail-oriented, a strong writer, creative, and comfortable working in a fast-paced policy environment. This position is full-time and based in New York City.
New American Economy is a bipartisan research and advocacy organization fighting for smart federal, state, and local immigration policies that help grow our economy and create jobs for all Americans. We make the economic case for immigration in four ways: We use powerful research to demonstrate how immigration impacts our economy; we organize champions at the grassroots and influencer levels to build support for immigration; we partner with state and local leaders to advocate for policies that recognize the value immigrants add locally; and we show immigrant contributions to American culture through film, food, art, sports, comedy, and more. Learn more about NAE here.
NAE’s State and Local Initiatives works with a network of more than 80 local communities and 20 states across the country to advocate for and support immigrant integration initiatives and policies. The Policy Associate’s portfolio will cover a range of projects, including two of NAE’s flagship programs: the Gateways for Growth Challenge, a competitive opportunity for local governments, chambers of commerce, and non-profit organizations to receive support for welcoming immigrants; and the Global Talent Chamber Network, a group of chambers of commerce interested in advocacy and communications on immigration as an economic development strategy. Learn more about what the State and Local Initiatives team does, and where, here.
- Managing the Gateways for Growth Challenge, including soliciting and reviewing applications and liaising with selected communities on research, technical assistance, and matching grant awards.
- Supporting the Global Talent Chamber Network, including organizing content and logistics for the annual chamber convening, managing relationships with individual chambers, and sharing best practices.
- Coordinating with the Research, Journalist, and Design teams and external partners (e.g.: chambers, Gateways for Growth awardees, and others) on the production of tailored research briefs on the economic contributions of immigrants; writing, fact-checking, and copy-editing research briefs and/or narrative reports.
- Researching and analyzing current and proposed policies and programs at the state and local levels; assisting the State and Local Policy Manager with legislative tracking and bill analysis; maintaining all NAE resources on best practices from the field.
- Assisting the Director and Deputy Director of State and Local Initiatives with all institutional outreach efforts, programming, and presentations.
- Managing NAE Policy Interns on local immigrant integration projects.
- Administrative tasks as necessary.
- Occasional travel (roughly once a quarter) to represent NAE at conferences and events.
- Bachelor’s Degree and an interest in U.S. politics and/or immigration policy.
- Strong multi-tasking ability, with desire to work on a variety of projects at once, from logistics and operations to research, policy analysis, and communications.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well as part of a team.
- Past experience with research using microdata such as the American Community Survey or the Current Population Survey.
- Experience with coding software (STATA, R, etc.), design software (InDesign, Illustrator, etc.), and/or WordPress CMS.