Date: December 2, 2020
Thank you so much for being a consistent and valued supporter of New American Economy. This holiday season, we want to share a couple of special recipes (and a step by step video tutorial on how to create these dishes) with you and your family from one of the immigrant entrepreneurs we are featuring in this year’s New American Festival.
Raduone ElJouhari is a Moroccan immigrant currently based in New York City. He founded Zerza, which operates out of Essex Market, serving authentic Moroccan cuisine to its many patrons! Below, Raduone shows us how to cook Chicken Tagine and Roasted Root Vegetables. We hope you enjoy, and once more, thank you for being a dedicated supporter of New American Economy!
Meal #1: Chicken Tagine
Ingredients: whole chicken, onion, garlic, cilantro, preserved lemon, fresh lemon juice, EV olive oil; spices: ginger salt, black pepper, turmeric, saffron, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves
1. Chop onion, garlic and cilantro, and mix them with the oil and spices and marinate the chicken.
2. Let it rest for at least 30 minutes in the fridge.
3. Add some olive oil to the pot and then place the chicken in the pot with the lemon.
4. Add a little water and cover the chicken.
5. Place the dish on the stove and cook for an hour and a half.
Meal 2: Roasted Root Vegetables
Ingredients: Carrots, parsnips, wild turnips, cranberries, pumpkin with EV olive oil; Herbs: cilantro and thyme, garlic, cinnamon sticks, salt, pepper, ginger turmeric.
1. Place it all together and roast in oven for an hour and 15 min.